IPH support the Departments of Health on policy issues relevant to enhancing maternal and child health and reducing inequalities in child health outcomes.
IPH contribute to breastfeeding policy and practice across the island and completed an extensive review of the implementation of breastfeeding policy in the Republic of Ireland. This shaped the content of the 2017 action plan Breastfeeding in a Healthy Ireland . We contribute to the Research Subgroup of the group overseeing the implementation of Breastfeeding – A great start – A strategy for Northern Ireland 2013-2023.
In addition, IPH contribute to the RoI Department of Health Working Group on a Folic Acid Policy which is examining policy options to reduce the incidence of neural tube defects in Ireland.
Other policy team programmes of work also have a significant interface with maternal and child health, including our work on smoking and second-hand smoke and our work on obesity and alcohol.
- Review and Evaluation of Breastfeeding in Ireland – A Five Year Strategic Action Plan
- Smoke-free spaces – Snapshot Report 2016
- Contribute to DoH (NI) Breastfeeding Research Group through bi-monthly meetings and participation in development of evidence database, event planning and research.
- Contribute to the mid-term review of the Northern Ireland Breastfeeding Strategy.
- Publish a snapshot report on breastfeeding on the island of Ireland.
- Contribute to DoH (RoI) Policy Group on Folic Acid through monthly meetings.
- Develop, revise and finalise the document – recommendations of the DoH (RoI) Folic Acid Policy Group.
Contact Person: Joanna Purdy