IPH work on defined aspects of obesity prevention across the island of Ireland.
- Northern Ireland
The policy framework in Northern Ireland, A Fitter Future for All - Framework for Preventing and Addressing Overweight and Obesity in Northern Ireland 2012-2022, aims to reduce the level of obesity by 4% and overweight and obesity by 3% by 2022 in adults and in children reduce obesity by 3% with a 2% reduction of overweight and obesity by 2022.
IPH contributes to this work though it representation on the Obesity Prevention Steering Group and Regional Obesity Prevention Implementation Group.
- Republic of Ireland
In September 2016 the Department of Health launched A Healthy Weight for Ireland – Obesity Policy and Action Plan 2016- 2025.
IPH was heavily involved in supporting the Department of Health in developing the policy and is supporting its implementation.
- Sugar sweetened drinks tax
IPH contributed to the evidence base on a sugar sweetened drinks tax in 2012, when commissioned by the Department of Health in the Republic of Ireland to undertake a Health Impact Assessment. IPH continues to support the Departments of Health in both jurisdictions on policy development on sugar sweetened drinks.
- Data on consumption patterns of sugar sweetened drinks was presented at the IPH Open Conference 2016.
- IPH recently responded to the Department of Finance consultation on the forthcoming sugar sweetened drinks tax in the Republic of Ireland.
- Consultation responses to UK and RoI SSD Levy
- The IPH Research and Information team is also contributing to work on to halting the rise of overweight and obesity in children and adolescents by 2020 through Joint Action on Nutrition and Physical Activity (JANPA) in the Healthy Weight programme of work.
- Devise a policy support programme of work with DoH (RoI) on the implementation of action 2.1 of A Healthy Weight for Ireland Obesity Policy and Action Plan 2016-2025.
- Agree with DoH (RoI) research and information support required for the implementation of A Healthy Weight for Ireland Obesity Policy and Action Plan 2016-2025.
- Implement agreed actions in the policy support programme of work with DoH (RoI) on the implementation of the Obesity Policy and Action Plan 2016-2025.
- Contribute to DoH (NI) Regional Obesity Prevention Implementation Group through bi-annual meetings and input into relevant activities outlined in ROPIG Action Plan, as requested by DoH (NI).
- Contribute to DoH (NI) Obesity Prevention Steering Group (OPSG) bi-annual meetings and input into relevant activities, as requested by DoH (NI).
- Support DoH (North and South) on development of taxation on sugar sweetened drinks including data, evaluation and evidence review as appropriate.
- Publish a snapshot report on patterns of SSD consumption on the island of Ireland.
Contact Person: Helen McAvoy